The United States is going through some rough times. A war and recession are starting to dim people's hopes of America every thriving like it once did. During this dark time I feel like there is really only one main idea that keeps shining through - people's beliefs. No matter how difficult of a time an individual is having they will stand right by their beliefs no matter what the circumstances.
I feel that Jesus Walks by Kanye West is a perfect example of this. West isn't afraid to make a hip-hop song about Jesus. This excerpt from the song, "So here go my single dawg radio needs this, They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus. That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes, but if I talk about God my record won't get played, Huh?" is a lyrical piece of genius and really questions some of the common problems with music and culture in our time.
West incorporates biblical lines like, "I walk through the valley where the shadow of death is", which is taken from 23rd psalm in the Bible; "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me". This song sparked some outrage in people who didn't want to hear a highly religious rap song air on the radio and television, but the single was too popular and kept spreading like a wild fire (West would eventually win three Grammy awards in 2005, in large part to Jesus Walks). Not only was the song played over and over on the radio but even made it's first televised music video appearance on MTV.
In a global time of economic recessions and outbreaks of violence, people look at songs for inspiration to keep on pushing through difficult times. I feel as though Jesus Walks is not only one of West's most complete songs, but it will also act as inspiration for generations to come. I'll end this blog with one of my favorite parts of the song, "We rappers are role models we rap we don't think, I ain't here to argue about his facial features, Or here to convert atheists into believers, I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers, The way Kathie Lee needed Regis that's the way I need Jesus."
Too many people see Kanye West as another unthoughtful and, i guess, rude person; however, he is actually pretty intelligent and a wizard at writing. Great song about a huge topic to take on.
ReplyDelete